Do you live in an apartment and want to adopt a dog?
Are you concerned about respecting the well-being of your neighbors and your new four-legged friend?
It is important to choose a breed of dog suitable for living in an apartment, favoring discreet and quiet dogs.
Here are 5 breeds of dogs that stand out for their discretion and that will adapt perfectly to your urban lifestyle.
1. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Originally from England, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a small dog, very endearing and sociable.
It is ideal for an apartment due to its low energy level and calm temperament. This dog gets along very well with children and other animals, making it an excellent choice for a family.
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is also a low barker and doesn’t need a lot of space to exercise. However, he enjoys daily walks and games with his masters. Its semi-long coat requires regular maintenance, but it is easy to groom and does not shed much.
THE basenji is a breed of dog originating from Central Africa, known for its discretion and lack of barking.
Indeed, this breed of dog has special vocal cords that prevent it from barking like other dogs. Instead, the Basenji emits very particular vocalizations.
- The Basenji is an intelligent and independent dog, which can be a little stubborn at times. It is therefore important to offer him a gentle and coherent education.
- This breed is also very clean and grooms itself like a cat, making it an ideal companion for people with allergies or who are concerned about the cleanliness of their apartment.
- The Basenji needs to exercise daily and enjoys long walks and intelligence games.
3. The Whippet
THE Whippet is a racing dog of British origin, often considered the “little brother” of the Greyhound.
Despite his athletic and slender appearance, this dog is very calm and discreet, making him an ideal companion for apartment living.
The Whippet is an affectionate dog and attached to its master. He generally gets along well with children and other animals, although he can be reserved with strangers. His short, tight coat doesn’t require a lot of maintenance and doesn’t present an allergy problem for most people.
Despite his calm temperament indoors, the Whippet needs to exercise regularly. He enjoys fast runs and chase games, but he also knows how to be very well behaved and composed when he is inside your apartment.
4. The French Bulldog
THE French Bulldog is a compact and muscular dog, who has conquered the hearts of dog lovers thanks to his affectionate and playful temperament.
This breed of dog is particularly suited to apartment living due to its small size and discretion.
- The French Bulldog is a very sociable dog, who loves company and is very attached to his family. He generally gets along well with children and other animals, making him an ideal companion for a family living in an apartment.
- Contrary to some popular belief, the French Bulldog is not a great barker. He is rather discreet and generally only barks when he feels the need to warn you of danger or to protect his territory.
- The French Bulldog can be prone to certain health problems, especially in terms of its breathing, due to its flattened face. It is therefore important to ensure his comfort and not to overwork him during walks or games.
5. The Shih Tzu
THE Shih Tzu is a breed of dog of Tibetan origin, very endearing and affectionate.
This small dog is a real life companion, who will bring you joy and love every day. His discretion and his ability to adapt to apartment life make him an ideal choice for those looking for a quiet and discreet dog.
- Temperament: The Shih Tzu is a cheerful, sociable and full of energy dog. He is very attached to his master and is sometimes a bit possessive. He generally gets along well with children and other animals, although he can be wary of strangers.
- Grooming: The Shih Tzu has a long, silky coat, which requires regular grooming to avoid tangles and skin problems. Daily brushing and regular grooming are essential. The Shih Tzu can be prone to eye problems, so it’s important to regularly clean their eyes with a damp cotton ball.
- Activity Shih Tzu is a dog who likes to play and exercise, but he also knows how to be calm and composed inside the apartment. He enjoys daily walks and games with his masters, but does not need a large space to feel comfortable.
There are many dog breeds that are perfectly suited to apartment living. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, the Basenji, the Whippet, the French Bulldog and the Shih Tzu are discreet, quiet and easy-going dogs that will adapt to your urban lifestyle while providing you with affection and companionship.
Do not hesitate to ask breeders, veterinarians or animal protection associations to find the ideal companion to share your daily life in an apartment.