Why is chocolate dangerous for our dogs?

Chocolate is a delicacy that many of us cannot resist. But did you know that this sweet treat can be extremely harmful to our canine friends? In this article, we will explore the reasons why dogs should not eat chocolateas well as the symptoms and measures to take in case of accidental consumption.

Theobromine, the toxic ingredient in chocolate

The main culprit that makes chocolate dangerous for dogs is an alkaloid called theobromine. Theobromine is naturally found in cocoa beans, from which chocolate is made. It is a stimulant substance that affects the central nervous system and heart muscle in humans. Our body is able to rapidly metabolize theobromine, so even a large amount of chocolate usually has no adverse effects for us.

However, dogs’ metabolism is different from ours, and their ability to eliminate theobromine from their body is much slower. This substance then builds up in their system and can cause serious and even fatal health problems.

The different amounts of theobromine according to the type of chocolate

  • Dark chocolate : 450 to 1600 mg of theobromine per 100g
  • Milk chocolate : 150 to 400 mg of theobromine per 100g
  • White chocolate : traces of theobromine, generally non-toxic to dogs

It is important to note that the amount of theobromine present in chocolate can vary depending on the brand and the quality of the product. Dark chocolate generally contains the highest concentration of theobromine, while white chocolate contains very little. This means that even a small amount of dark chocolate can be dangerous for a dog.

Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

If your dog has consumed chocolate, it is essential to know the symptoms of poisoning in order to act quickly and get him the help he needs. Signs of poisoning may appear between 4 and 24 hours after chocolate consumption, depending on the quantity ingested and the size of your animal. Here are some of the common symptoms:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Restlessness or nervousness
  • Tremors or seizures
  • Increased heart rate (tachycardia)
  • Increased breathing (tachypnea)
  • Weakness, incoordination or collapse

What to do if your dog ate chocolate?

If you think your dog has consumed an unsafe amount of chocolate, it is imperative to contact a veterinarian quickly. Depending on the situation, the professional can advise you on the measures to take.

Induction of vomiting

In some cases, it may be advisable to induce vomiting in your dog so that he eliminates the chocolate from his stomach. However, this procedure should be done under the supervision of a veterinarian, as it can pose risks to the animal if not performed correctly.

Treatment in veterinary clinic

If the symptoms of chocolate poisoning have already appeared or your dog has ingested a large amount of chocolate, it will likely be necessary to take him to the vet for emergency treatment. This may include:

  • Administration of activated charcoal to absorb theobromine in the stomach and reduce its absorption
  • Medicines to control tremors and seizures
  • Intravenous fluids to help remove theobromine from the body and treat dehydration caused by vomiting and diarrhea
  • Medicines to regulate heart rhythm, if needed

It is crucial not to wait for the symptoms to worsen before consulting a veterinarian. The sooner you intervene, the better your dog’s chances of survival and recovery.

Prevention: how to protect our dogs from the danger of chocolate?

The best way to avoid chocolate poisoning in your dog is to take preventive measures so that he does not have access to this product. Here are a few tips :

  • Keep chocolate out of your dog’s reach, especially during holidays when there may be more temptations.
  • Educate your family members, especially children, about the dangers of chocolate for dogs and ask them not to share their treats with the animal.
  • Supervise your dog when he is in the kitchen or near the table during meals to prevent him from stealing food containing chocolate.

By learning to recognize the risks of chocolate to our canine friends and taking steps to protect them, we can contribute to their health and well-being throughout their lives.

Subscribe to the newsletter

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to submit the form

Related Posts

An internship to teach your dog to search for missing people this Saturday in Bourges

Learning to “read” your dog, “from the tip of its nose to the tip of its tail”, such is the promise of a small company, based near…

Calvados: Jessica Lachize, a dog lover who helps to understand them

By Nathan Blouin Published on 20 May 23 at 7:20 See my news Follow La Voix le Bocage Jessica Lachize, here with Prince, one of her three…

Son chien ne lâche pas le mur du regard, il met une caméra et fait une découverte impensable !

His dog does not take his eyes off the wall, he puts on a camera and makes an unthinkable discovery!

© His dog does not take his eyes off the wall, he puts on a camera and makes an unthinkable discovery! Show summary Hide summary Like many…

Couple arrested for animal abuse on their dogs in Marines

By Thomas Hoffman Published on 19 May 23 at 19:22 See my news Follow the Val d’Oise Gazette The female was locked in a cage on the…

Roullet: with Jennifer Bertrand, dogs exert themselves on mountain bikes

Rebel has practiced the cani-vt five times. Photo Quentin Petit “The idea is to do a one-hour session. If the dog’s physical abilities allow, more can be…

Les Sables-d’Olonne: no dogs on the main beach

By Maeva Bossard Published on 19 May 23 at 13:00 See my news Follow Le Journal des Sables From April 1 to September 30, dogs do not…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *